Auditing nftables changes

Bruce Elrick bruce.elrick at canonical.com
Thu Mar 9 16:33:12 UTC 2023

I think I need to clarify where I'm confused ;-)

With iptables you could write a rule that would only catch system
calls that were for iptables changes. That is, you didn't need to
capture *all* setsockopt calls (not that there would be lots of
*those*) but rather you could add the a2=64 to only get the
op=IPT_SO_SET_REPLACE ones.

With netfilter, however, since the control interface is netlink and
netlink requires a message to a socket and messages are structs, there
is no way to have a similarly narrow audit rule as in the case of
iptables.

That's the first thing I want to confirm: whether my understanding
above is correct? I'm confused because your answer implies I'm correct
but you didn't explicitly confirm that my interpretation of how it
works was correct.

You talk about having an exclude filter on NETFILTER_CFG (or rather
exclude everything except NETFILTER_CFG??) but my understanding is
that you can only do that filtering after the fact using ausearch or
writing some sort of correlation code using the auparse library. But
you are then, in this case, still capturing a haystack and, after the
fact, searching for the needle afterwards. Actually, that's a bad
analogy because ausearch easily finds the events of type=NETFILTER_CFG
very easily and then backtracks and gives you the proctitle, sockaddr
call, and sendmsg syscall associated with the type=netfilter_cfg at
which point you can look at the auid and decide what to do then.

But this is very different from what was possible with iptables where
the rule itself can filter just the iptables-related setsockopt
syscalls.

It just seemed surprising that there is a non-trivial loss of audit
functionality but that I could not find any obvious discussion about
that. By obvious discussion I mean as explicitly as what I'm trying to
say here.

The other thing I'm trying to understand is how heavy an audit load
would it be to have an audit rule that captures *all* sendmsg calls
(well, all except where auid=-1 or auid=${serviceuser_uid}). I don't
have a good enough understanding of systems programming to know where
and how often the sendmsg is called. Of course I know this is highly
dependent on workload, but my knowledge is limited enough that I I can
convince myself both that the audit load would be not trivial but
still manageable in most cases but also I can convince myself that no
same sysadmin would consider running such an audit rule. With file IO
it's easy to distinguish that file opens are worth auditing but file
reads and writes would be insane to audit. It's not so clear for me
for sockets.

Cheers...
Bruce