Sycall Rules vs Watch Rules

Amjad Gabbar amjadgabbar11 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 15:56:11 UTC 2023

Hi,

I have done some analysis and digging into how both the watch rules and
syscall rules are translated.

>From my understanding, in terms of logging, both the below rules are
similar. There is no difference in either of the rules.

1. -w /etc -p wa -k ETC_WATCH

2. -a always,exit -F arch=b64 -S <all syscalls part of the write and attr
classes> -F dir=/etc  -F perm=wa -k ETC_WATCH

The write and attr classes consist of syscalls in
“include/asm-generic/audit_*.h“.

 The perm flag is needed in the second case for including open/openat
syscalls which are not a part of the write and attr syscall list.

I'd like to verify if what I mentioned earlier is accurate, and I have an
additional point but depends on whether this is accurate.

Ali