[Linux-cachefs] cachefs with Fedora 7 ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Sep 8 20:52:10 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to test NFS caching on Fedora 7 systems, but got stuck.

Is there some step-by-step documentation how to get this running?

Here is what I did:

* Checked out linux kernel git commit id ac078602
* Applied patch set from nfs+fscache-22.tar.bz2
* Configure kernel with the following ioptions enabled:

	CONFIG_FS_MBCACHE=m
	CONFIG_FSCACHE=m
	CONFIG_FSCACHE_PROC=y
	CONFIG_FSCACHE_STATS=y
	CONFIG_FSCACHE_HISTOGRAM=y
	# CONFIG_FSCACHE_DEBUG is not set
	CONFIG_CACHEFILES=m
	# CONFIG_CACHEFILES_DEBUG is not set
	CONFIG_CACHEFILES_HISTOGRAM=y
	CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE=y

* Build & boot kernel, fine.
* Fedora 7 comes with a cachefilesd-0.7-3.fc7 RPM, but when I try to
  start the cachefilesd I get error messages.
* OK, maybe cachefilesd-0.7-3 is too old; downloaded
  cachefilesd-0.9-1.fc7.src.rpm and installed it. Now cachefilesd is
  running and I see periodic (every 30 seconds) messages like these:

  	cachefilesd[18005]: Refilling cull table
	cachefilesd[18005]: Scan complete

* "howto.txt" says I have to use the "-o fsc" mount option when
  mounting the NFS file system I want to see cached. With the Fedora 7
  supplied /sbin/mount.nfs I just get a erro message:

  	Unsupported nfs mount option: fsc

* OK, downloaded
  http://people.redhat.com/%7esteved/fscache/nfs-utils/1.0.9-5/nfs-utils-1.0.9-5.fc6.i386.rpm
  and used the /sbin/mount.nfs that comes with it, but it complains:

  	# ./sbin/mount.nfs triton:/ /mnt/triton -o fsc
	mount.nfs: /mnt/triton is already mounted or busy

  Of course the file system is not mounted yet, and Fedora 7's
  mount.nfs can mount it just fine - without the "-o fsc", that is.

* If I use the Fedora 7's mount.nfs to mount the file system and then
  try to use Steve's version to remount it, I get this:

  	# ./sbin/mount.nfs triton:/ /mnt/triton -v -o remount,fsc
	Segmentation fault

* Then I downloaded the source RPM; this fails to build on F7, but in
  other parts, so I was able to recompile mount.nfs, but it shows
  exactly the same behaviour as that from the binary RPM.

Is Fedora 7 unsupported at the moment, or am I missing something
fundamental?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"More software projects have gone awry for lack of calendar time than
for all other causes combined."
                         - Fred Brooks, Jr., _The Mythical Man Month_