[Linux-cachefs] Module cachefiles not found

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 15:05:27 UTC 2009

jordi contreras wrote:
> Hello!
>
> i downloaded the cachefilesd-0.7 and i'm reading howto.txt and doing the
> instructionsi i have copied the file cachefiles.conf in /etc, but when i
> execute the instruction: service cachefilesd start, it return to me starting
> cachefilesd:FATAL: Module cachefiles not found.
>
> Anybody knows because it happens?
It means your kernel probably does not have the FS-Cache code compiled in.

I believe you can find the latest version on the 'linux-mm' branch in
the NFS maintainer's git tree, which is at:
    git://git.linux-nfs.org/pub/linux/nfs-2.6.git

The steps needed to check out the branch are:

git clone git://git.linux-nfs.org/pub/linux/nfs-2.6.git nfs-2.6
cd nfs-2.6
git checkout -b linux-mm
git pull git://git.linux-nfs.org/pub/linux/nfs-2.6.git linux-mm

> Anybody knows any guide for install a configure cache file system?
I believe the latest documentation is actually in the kernel tree:

 Documentation/filesystems/caching/backend-api.txt
 Documentation/filesystems/caching/cachefiles.txt
 Documentation/filesystems/caching/fscache.txt
 Documentation/filesystems/caching/netfs-api.txt
 Documentation/filesystems/caching/object.txt
 Documentation/filesystems/caching/operations.txt
 Documentation/slow-work.txt

Good luck! :-)

steved.