[Linux-cachefs] background mount failing because of FS-Cache?

Daniel Goering g_daniel at gmx.net
Sat Feb 13 12:57:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'd like to mount an NFS4 share with the option bg as described in man 5
nfs.
This works perfectly fine e.g. on a Gentoo system. I tried the same with
some Fedora 12 clients and the bg option just seems to be ignored. All
mounts are carried out in the foreground and time out after 2 minutes
[and the client is blocked e.g. during boot for the entire time] instead
of trying in the background for about 1 week until the server is back up.

The only difference I could find was that Fedora 12 automatically tries
to use FS-Cache when issuing the mount and may be FS-Cache forces the
whole task into the foreground...
When I issue the mount command I find the following lines in dmesg:
FS-Cache: Loaded
FS-Cache: Netfs 'nfs' registered for caching

I certainly did not specify the mount option fsc or anything else to
activate FS-Cache and I could not find any option to avoid it.
Can someone tell me how to deactivate FS-Cache?

I tried to blacklist the fscache module, but it was used any ways when
issuing mount. Removing the .ko file resulted in a broken nfs module
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_read_or_alloc_pages
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_check_page_write
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_relinquish_cookie
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_unregister_netfs
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_read_or_alloc_page
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_uncache_page
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_register_netfs
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_write_page
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_wait_on_page_write
nfs: Unknown symbol __fscache_acquire_cookie

Is there a nice way to get rid of FS-Cache or do I have to build my own
kernel?

Cheers
	Daniel