[Linux-cachefs] Adventures in NFS re-exporting

bfields at fieldses.org bfields at fieldses.org
Thu Dec 3 22:45:20 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 09:34:26PM +0000, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> I've been wanting such a function for quite a while anyway in order to
> allow the client to detect state leaks (either due to soft timeouts, or
> due to reordered close/open operations).

One sure way to fix any state leaks is to reboot the server.  The server
throws everything away, the clients reclaim, all that's left is stuff
they still actually care about.

It's very disruptive.

But you could do a limited version of that: the server throws away the
state from one client (keeping the underlying locks on the exported
filesystem), lets the client go through its normal reclaim process, at
the end of that throws away anything that wasn't reclaimed.  The only
delay is to anyone trying to acquire new locks that conflict with that
set of locks, and only for as long as it takes for the one client to
reclaim.

?

--b.