[Linux-cachefs] Adventures in NFS re-exporting

Trond Myklebust trondmy at hammerspace.com
Thu Dec 3 22:50:46 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-12-03 at 14:39 -0800, Frank Filz wrote:

> [...]

Yes. It would have to use the same clientid.

> But would probably open new sessions. It requests the list of
> stateids. Hmm, how to make the owner information useful, nfs-ganesha
> doesn't pass on the actual client's owner but rather just passes the
> address of its record for that client owner. Maybe it will have to do
> something a bit different for this degree of re-export support...
>
> Now the re-export server knows which original client lock owners are
> allowed to reclaim state. So it just acquires locks using the
> original stateid as the client reclaims (what happens if the client
> doesn't reclaim a lock? I suppose the re-export server could unlock
> all regions not explicitly locked once reclaim is complete). Since
> the re-export server is acquiring new locks using the original
> stateid it will just overlay the original lock with the new lock and
> write locks don't conflict since they are being acquired by the same
> lock owner. Actually the original server could even balk at a
> "reclaim" in this way that wasn't originally held... And the original
> server could "refresh" the locks, and discard any that aren't
> refreshed at the end of reclaim. That part assumes the original
> server is apprised that what is actually happening is a reclaim.
>
> The re-export server can destroy any stateids that it doesn't receive
> reclaims for.

Right. That's in essence what I'm suggesting. There are corner cases to
be considered: e.g. "what happens if the re-export server crashes after
unlocking on the server, but before passing the LOCKU reply on the the
client", however I think it should be possible to figure out strategies
for those cases.

> Hmm, I think if the re-export server is implemented as an HA cluster,
> it should establish a clientid on the original server for each
> virtual IP (assuming that's the unit of HA)  that exists. Then when
> virtual IPs are moved, the re-export server just goes through the
> above reclaim process for that clientid.

Yes, we could do something like that.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace
trond.myklebust at hammerspace.com