[Linux-cluster] Re: [ANNOUNCE] OpenSSI 1.0.0 released!!

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Mon Aug 16 19:26:02 UTC 2004

Hi!

> >I wonder if device-mapper (slightly hacked) wouldn't be a better
> >approach for 2.6+.
>
> It appeared from the original posting that their "cluster-wide devfs"
> actually supported all types of device nodes, not just block devices.
> I don't know whether accessing a character device on another node
> would ever be useful, but certainly using device-mapper wouldn't help
> for that case.

Remote character devices seem extremely usefull to me...

mpg456 --device /dev/kitchen/dsp

cat /dev/roof/dsp > /dev/laptop/dsp

cat picture-to-scare-pigeons.raw > /dev/roof/fb0

X --device=/dev/livingroom/fb0

.... Okay, it will probably take a while until SSI cluster is the
right tool to network your home :-).

				Pavel
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms