[Linux-cluster] GFS Node Limit?

Adam Manthei amanthei at redhat.com
Wed Aug 18 23:29:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 11:06:28PM +0200, Richard Mayhew wrote:

> I have increased the number of journals on each FS from the 8 previously
> discussed to 16. At present the max number of servers that I intend on
> using will be 10, leaving 6 journals open for expansion. When trying to
> mount the 6th server, I end up with the same problem. The mount hangs
> until I remove a mount from another system before the 6th system is able
> to complete the GFS mount.
>
> After adding on full verbosity on the gulm lock server I still can't see
> anything of interest. Dmesg offers no clue either. The only message I'm
> seeing is the following : "GFS Kernel Interface" is logged out. fd:10"
> etc.
>
> After searching the net, the only advice I can find is to increase the
> number of journals to at least the number of nodes. This I have done
> with no success....
>
> Any other ideas?

Gulm can only use 5 nodes in the servers list in
cluster.ccs/cluster/lock_gulmd/servers.  This could be why you are having
difficulties.  Try trimming the list and see if that yields better results.

You may also want to make sure that your node names are uniquely
identifiable by their first 8 characters (this was a bug in version
6.0.0-1.2 of the RPMs, but since you didn't post the version of the code you
are using, I can only offer this as a suggestion ;)

There would be failure messages to the console stating that you didn't have
enough journals if that was the problem.

good luck
--
Adam Manthei