[Linux-cluster] fsck time

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Aug 26 01:18:37 UTC 2004

Seems a bit high... but it's possible.  The fsck, while very thorough
and functionally correct, is not very well optimized.

Pass 7 checks for block conflicts.  That is, if a file (or dir) has a
block in common with another file (or dir).

Each pass is designed to check something different.  So, depending on
the access patterns, some passes will take longer than others.

Your numbers seem high - especially for the amount of space you are
actually using.  Part of that time is chewed up looking over the
portions of the file system that are not used...  If you're just
playing around, you may wish to see how the fsck does if the fs is
smaller but the contents are the same.

  brassow