[Linux-cluster] GNBD+RAID5

Shih-Che Huang schuan2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 04:48:52 UTC 2004

Hi Shih-Che,

If I understand correctly you have three nodes (PC's) with local
harddisks of size 35GB. You want to make a raid-5 array using these
three harddisks and at the sametime make this data accessible from all
the three nodes. Is it correct?

I am sorry but I didn't try GNBD myself yet. I don't know how much I
can help you. But let me try

>#gfs_mkfs -p lock_gulm -t alpha:gfstest -j 3 /dev/pool/storage
>#mount -t gfs /dev/pool/storage /gfs1
Instead of making one big pool of 70GB make three pools
/dev/pool/storage1,2, 3. and then you can mount them onto /gfs1,2,3.
You can then use Linux MD (Meta Devices) driver to create raid-5 array
(software raid).

You will edit /etc/raidtab, check this link:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.8

It's just my thought but I don't know if it works. You may want to
post this question and my reply to linux-cluster and see if any
experts can help you out.

Also, it looks like PVFS (Parallel Virtual File System) may address
your problem correctly. Check this:

Look at what is PVFS?
http://www.parl.clemson.edu/pvfs/pvfs-faq.html#what

Hope this helps!