[Linux-cluster] gfs fam notify

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Dec 7 17:34:59 UTC 2004

Edward Mann wrote:
> I have searched the news-group but have not found anyone that has asked
> this question. If it has been and i have missed it please point me in
> the right direction.
>

> I am using FAM on a box that waits for files to be placed in folders.
> Once the it is notified about a new file it will run a script that i
> have created. However if the file shows up on another box it is never
> notified about the new file.
>
> -----               -----
> - M -    link       - M -
> - 1 - ----------    - 2 -
> -----               -----
>
> So machine 1 (M1) runs the script and the storage is shared between it
> and Machine 2 (M2). If M2 get's the file than M1 does not know about it
> and does not run the script. Is there some method that M2 can notify M1
> via gfs methods that a file was created/changed? I can just move the
> script to the other box, i just want to be sure that there is not
> something that i can set to get this to work the way i want. I know this
> has something to do with the kernel. if i do a touch on the file on M1
> than the script will launch. I hope i have explained this well enough.
>
> Thanks for your time.

FAM is triggered by reads, writes and such from the kernel.  If M2
receives the file (I'm assuming over something such as FTP), then M1's
kernel won't know about it, and thus will not launch the script.  You'd
need to run FAM on both nodes to do this.  BTW, this is not GFS-related.
You'll see the same behaviour on any file system.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -