[Linux-cluster] GFS and vanilla kernel

Graham Wood linux-cluster at spam.dragonhold.org
Wed Dec 8 14:19:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:33:12PM +0300, Anatoly Pugachev wrote:
> Hi
> help.  i'm stuck on the first stage compiling kernel.
Ahh - my fault.  I should have pointed out that patching the kernel isn't necessarily going
to work at the moment - according to someone on the list a few weeks back, the patches there
are not necessarily kept up to date with the code in the module form

> $ cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster login cvs
> $ cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster checkout cluster/gfs
> $ cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster checkout cluster/gfs-kernel
Do you already have the rest of the framework?  GFS runs on top of the cluster stuff,
therefore you're going to need the other cluster stuff - just cvs checkout the entire
cluster tree - it's not that big, and may help you avoid other problems down the line.

> $ cd /usr/src/v2.6.10-rc3
> $ find ~/cluster -name *.patch | xargs cat | patch -p1
This is going to find all the patches in that directory - I've not done a cvs co recently,
but last time I checked it had multiple versions of the kernel in it.  Also since the
patches are closely linked to a specific kernel version, you'd need patches for the
2.6.10-rc3 version - not the 2.6.9 patches.

> Anyone to clear situation? Please help.
Again, apologies for not being explicit - I forgot about the patching method, since I got
told a few weeks back that it wouldn't work.

Download & configure/compile/install the new kernel - you shouldn't need to reboot into it,
but it means you're less likely to hit any conflicts later with different versions.

Ignore the reference in the instructions about patching the kernel, and work through
usage.txt - or min-gfs.txt if you're using gnbd only - to get everything installed.