[Linux-cluster] unable to umount GFS

Adam Manthei amanthei at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 23:42:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 11:32:18PM -0000, Raj  Kumar wrote:
> >You can't unmount GFS if the node you are trying to unmount is also
> >exporting GFS via NFS.  The filesystem busy error means just that, it's
> >busy.  If you want to unmount GFS, you will first need to stop GFS on that
> >node.
>
> nodeA: connected to storage and exports GFS filesystem via NFS
> No clients are using the NFS export.
>
> What procedure do I follow to cleanly shutdown GFS on nodeA?
>
> Steps:
> unmount all GFS filesystems
> shutdown lock server using gulm_tool shutdown localhost.
>
> Is the above sequence correct? If yes, I am unable to complete step 1 unmounting.
>
> >If you want to unmount GFS, you will first need to stop GFS on that
> >node.
> Were you referring to clients using NFS exports in statement "stop GFS on that node" or nodeA. No one is using NFS exports and GFS filesystem on nodeA.
>
> I'm sorry to bother you, but would very much appreciate your comments!
> Thank you!
> Raj

It doesn't matter that nobody is using NFS in your above example.  NFS is
using GFS! and that is why you are unable to unmount GFS.

So...

Step 1. Stop Exporting NFS (at least stop exporting GFS)
Step 2. Make sure nothing else on the system is using GFS
Step 3. Umount GFS
Step 4. stop the lock servers.

Steps 1-3 are the same for any other filesystem.  There is nothing special
going on here.  The init scripts will also help with the ordering.

service nfs stop
service gfs stop
service lock_gulmd stop
service ccsd stop