[Linux-cluster] GFS and Storage greater than 2 TB

Markus Miller mmiller at cruzverde.cl
Thu Dec 30 14:27:50 UTC 2004

Hi,

researching I found a posting to this list made by Kevin Anderson (Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:56:24 -0500) where he states the following:

---snip---
Maximum size of each GFS filesystem for RHEL3 (2.4.x kernel) is 2 TB,
you can have multiple filesystems of that level.  So, to get access to
10TB of data requires a minimum of 5 separate filesystems/storage
combinations.
---snip---

What do I have to do to achive this? Do I have to configure several GFS clusters in the cluster.ccs file (each of a máximum size of 2 TB)? Or do I have to configure one GFS cluster with serveral filesystems each with a maximum size of 2 TB? The GFS Admin Guide is not very precise, but what's really confusing me is the statement on page 12: "2 TB maximum, for total of all storage connected to a GFS cluster."

At the moment we are evaluating to buy servers and storage, therefore I do not have any equipment to do the testing myself.

Any coment is highly apreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Markus

Markus Miller