[Linux-cluster] Gfs_data vs gfs_journal

Erling Nygaard nygaard at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 16:21:26 UTC 2004

Ben

You can indeed have external journals with GFS.

As Mike was saying, you can specify a subpool with type "gfs_journal".
And since you easily can specify what device the subpool is on you decide
where the journal is.

This feature has been in GFS since 'a looong time ago' and unless there
have been changes to this in OpenGFS this feature works in the same way in
all versions of GFS :)

As Mike pointed out, this was originally done in case of Solid State
Disks, where having the journals on the SSD could prove speedup. Due to
lack of SSDs this has never really been tested much...

Erling