[Linux-cluster] GNBD, how good it is ?

Brian Jackson notiggy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 21:26:49 UTC 2004

> Hi,
>
> Just a general comment;
>
> I spent some time getting a cluster running, in summary - for anyone interested (IMHO);
<snip>
> Summary (IMHO);

> a.    Performance is good and it does work
>
> b.    It looks promising, yet still alpha/beta

I'm sure I read somewhere, that the current code is considered beta.
If I'm making that up, It's implied by the fact that the DLM is quite
new, and the port to 2.6 is also pretty fresh.

> c.    Until mirroring is implemented clvmd, it's not really replacement for NFS given the stability

It is if you've got shared storage that implements raid.

> d.    Documentation is severely lacking ...

Agreed, but that's why there's a wiki, mailing list, and irc channel.

> I'm sure it will be good with a little more work (!) , but I was hoping for production, and it's > not quite there yet ..

I'm sure Red Hat's product for RHEL is nice, stable, and production
ready. You are playing with relatively fresh code.

--Brian