[Linux-cluster] GFS limits?

Elliot Peele ebpeele2 at pams.ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 14 02:18:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 18:55 -0500, Ken Preslan wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 03:22:51PM -0700, Don MacAskill wrote:
> > Does GFS somehow get around the 1TB block device issue?  Just how large
> > can a single exported filesystem be with GFS?
>
> On Linux 2.4-based kernels, the limit is 1TB.  On 2.6-based kernels, the
> limit is 8TB on 32-bit systems and some really large number (at least
> exabytes) on 64-bit systems.

The file system size limit under 2.4 is 2TB, this can be changed to 4TB
if your kernel has the LBD (Large Block Device) patches. Really to only
change is using a unsigned int instead of a signed int.

There are rpms for GFS for 2.4.21-15.EL. I have kernel packages for
2.4.21-15.EL that have xfs and lbd patches if you want them.

Elliot