[Linux-cluster] GFS limits?

Ken Preslan kpreslan at redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 17:18:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:08:10AM -0500, Carlos Knowlton wrote:
> >On Linux 2.4-based kernels, the limit is 1TB.  On 2.6-based kernels, the
> >limit is 8TB on 32-bit systems and some really large number (at least
> >exabytes) on 64-bit systems.
> >

> On the 2.6 kernel, I've heard that the Ext2/3fs can handle 16TB by
> increasing the block size (I'm not sure if that number is with 4K or 8K
> blocks).
>
> Is it possible to increase the FS capacity in GFS on 32bit systems in
> the same way (ie, by increasing the block size)?  If so, what is the
> maximum block size supported in GFS

The difference in quoted max size limits (1 or 2 TB on 2.4 and 8 or 16 TB
on 2.6) shows up because some people trust block/page numbers that use the
sign bit and some don't.  It may very well be possible to go to larger
sizes on your hardware and drivers, but you need to check to verify that
yourself.  I'm paranoid and will quote you the smaller number. :-)

--
Ken Preslan <kpreslan at redhat.com>