[Linux-cluster] unresolved symbol

chloong chloong at nextnationnet.com
Mon Jul 19 10:21:38 UTC 2004

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 04:09, chloong wrote:
>

>>hi all,
>>I am facing this unresolved symbol error when i do a depmod -a for gfs.
>>
>>i am using kernel 2.4.21-15.0.3.EL. I actually re-compile the GFS using
>>GFS-6.0.0-1.2.src.rpm from HughesJR.com where it is able to compile
>>under 2.4.21-15.0.3.EL version where as the one that i downloaded from
>>RedHat is only be able to compile under 2.4.21-15.EL version.
>>
>>I was able to compile it and installed but when i run depmod -a it
>>complain that there are unresolved symbol for all the GFS modules....
>>

>Did you compile the version for your arch (i686, athlon)?
>
>If you are running a i686 kernel, you need to compile with a target=i686
>or if you have an athlon kernel, you need to compile with target=athlon
>
>You can download the binary modules from my site as well and see if you
>have the same problem.
>
>In order to compile the SRPM as written for a target=athlon you will
>need to install (at least for the compile), kernel-unsupported,
>kernel-smp, and kernel-source ... for target=i686 you need to install
>kernel-unsupported, kernel-smp, kernel-source, and kernel-hugemem
>
>Johnny Hughes
>HughesJR.com
>

>>I checked that my kernel version is correct using uname -r...
>>
>>How could i go about this....? Please help....
>>

>--

hi Johnny,
I  had tried using your bin, both i386 & i686, but still have the same
problem.
BTW, how could i know what target should i use? i am running on a x86
platform and i compile the kernel myself and i select the cpu type as
386 family with no smp support.

the kernel source i downloaded from rpmfind. The version is
kernel-2.4.21-15.0.3.EL.src.rpm. I used back the kernel config file
provided from this rpm and changed it to no smp support.

Everything are fine after reboot using this kernel. Then i compile the
gfs source from your side. The compilation was successful. After
installation, when i do a depmod -a, it still gave me unresolved symbol
for gfs modules....

Please help!

Thanks