[Linux-cluster] GFS is *very* slow when NFS exported

Stephen Willey stephen.willey at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Jul 23 10:53:46 UTC 2004

We are looking at using GFS for load balanced NFS.  Going with GNBD
exported GFS isn't really an option since we're talking about over 1000
machines needing to access the storage.  For this reason we were looking
at providing a relatively small cluster of GFS machines serving the
storage via NFS.  The clients would then use round-robin DNS to load
balance across these servers.

The results we've got back from our tests are shown below:

-= Setup ========================================-

Two machines with GFS filesystem mounted from a
dual-port RAID, connected to ethernet via GigE and
serving NFS as follows:

/mnt/gfs *(no_root_squash,rw,insecure,async)

-= Local GFS Filesystem Access ==================-

The tests show Mb/s computed by using 10Gb dd

1 machine, write (gfstest1):
  166
1 machine, read (gfstest2 reading file gfstest1 created):
  139.5