[Linux-cluster] high availability with GFS

Markus Wiedmer - FHBB markus.wiedmer at stud.fhbb.ch
Wed Nov 3 09:42:04 UTC 2004

hi all,

We are students of the University of applied Sciences in Basel. As a
project we are trying to realize a High-Availability Fileserver on
Linux. We want to use GFS for our Storage but we are having problems
in making it redundant.

We are running 2 Samba-Servers that achieve failover through
Heartbeat. Ideally, both servers should access the external storage through
GFS. We thought we could use the pool_tool or clvm for this, but AFAIK
both don't offer any redundancy, right?

Is there any way to make GFS-Nodes (preferably through GNBD)
redundant, so that a failure of a single node wouldn't affect the
whole storage? Of course we could employ RAID 1 or 5 on the nodes
themselves but that wouldn't save us in case the whole node fails.

Does anyone have any experience with this. Thanks in advance

-markus

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Markus Wiedmer - FHBB