[Linux-cluster] Grow pool without adding subpools

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 23:28:20 UTC 2004

Usually, ppl want to do this because their storage grows without adding
an additional device to the system.

I believe the simplest way to do this is to bring your cluster down.
It is possible to do this one machine at a time - leaving the cluster
as a whole running, but the instructions are more difficult.

Assuming you are bringing down your cluster, do:
1. unmount gfs from all machines
2. unassemble the pool device from all machines
3. rewrite the pool labels for the pool in question from _one_ machine
4. reassemble the pool device on all machines
5. remount gfs
6. choose to add additional journals, or add space to the file system

Basically, you are forcibly growing the size of the pool (offline).
Then you are making your adjustments to gfs (online).

Clearly, it is easier if the array simply makes another device
available to the system - allowing an additional subpool to be added to
the pool.  This way, everything can be done online.

  brassow