[Linux-cluster] (was: clvmd without GFS?) Effect of atime updates

Cahill, Ben M ben.m.cahill at intel.com
Tue Nov 23 22:34:04 UTC 2004

Hi Matt,

Ken Preslan just checked in some code to help this situation, i.e.
taking a *long* time when reading a large directory with atime updates
enabled (i.e. GFS mounted normally, without -o noatime option).

Instead of forcing a WAIT until write I/O completes for each atime
update (writing the inode block for each file that gets a new atime ...
that's a lot of block writes in your case), GFS now will WAIT *only* if
another node or process needs to access the file (hopefully rare).  This
should allow Linux block I/O to write these blocks more efficiently, and
not hold up the read process.

I'm curious how much of a difference that might make in your situation.
If you (or anyone else) can try it out, let us know the results.

-- Ben --

Opinions are mine, not Intel's

No, DLM is not causing the delay ... it's just a lot of disk writes ...
with most of them causing a WAIT until the disk is written.