[Linux-cluster] HA with GFS and GNBD

Craig Ward craig at wotever.net
Wed Nov 24 15:15:31 UTC 2004

Hi there,

We're trying to achieve a high availability fail over for data store
that's part of a load balanced web server farm.

Is there a way of achieving a cheap SAN by using GFS on our webservers
and exporting shares from two backend servers using GNBD so effectively
having a network mirrored raid setup. The idea being if server #1 fails
the web servers can still access the data from server #2.

Apologies in advance if this is a 'newbie' question but I've spent a
while reading all the Redhat docs and I'm still unsure if this is
something that can be achieved with GFS and GNBD alone.

The last solution at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/admin-guide/s1-ov-perform.html
seems to be what we're looking for but it's shy on details.

Many thanks,
Craig.