[Linux-cluster] [RFC] Generic Kernel API

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 11:40:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:52:15AM -0700, Daniel McNeil wrote:

> Would it be ok to just keep the info for the last viewnumber only?
> If the viewnumber did not match then an error could be returned
> for get_quorate.  get_info could return the viewnumber as part
> of quorum info.

That might work. certainly for just the quorum info.  in cman's case it would be
more helpful to keep view info for two previous views because it increments the
view number twice at least for each transition (once at the start, once at then
end and once for a restart if needed). But maybe details like that should be
hidden and it should return a more indtuitive view number for clients.

BTW I anticipate that the userland variant of this have a little more in it. for
instance the data for previous views could go back much further and also delta
membership changes can be more easily handled.

> What does get_votes do if nodeid is NOT currently in the cluster
> membership?

Currently I would return the information for the node when it was last in the
cluster, but perhaps -ENOENT would also be appropriate. I'm open to argument on
either of these really.

--

patrick