[Linux-cluster] Re: GFS on md on shared disks?

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Oct 7 17:41:00 UTC 2004

Hardware raid is fine, but software raid has it's limitations in this
space.

If you can ensure that there will be no failures (in which case, you
wouldn't be using raid5), and that the devices are always in the same
order, etc -then go ahead.

If you have one machine that has a failure on a drive, only this
machine will do the appropriate thing - leaving the others with a view
of the device that is inconsistent with that of the machine on which
the failure took place.  This is the fundamental problem.

  brassow