[Linux-cluster] Re: EAGAIN from dlm_lock: bug or feature?

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 07:51:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 01:01:30AM -0400, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> If dlm_lock collides with a lock mastered locally it returns EAGAIN and
> the ast is never called.  Is this a bug or a feature?  I see it as a
> bug because it forces me to handle the EAGAIN in two places to handle
> the same event, which is creeping cruft.  It is also sure to lead to
> bugs where a distributed program works perfectly until somebody runs
> two instances on the same host.

It's a matter of opinion I suppose. If you get an error return from dlm_lock and
ignore it then you deserve everything you get. Particularly with something like
a NOQUEUE lock where you must expect that there is a reasonable probability of
failure.

As VMS also has this behaviour I suspect it'll be something people are used to.

patrick