[Linux-cluster] gfs - filesystem size for 64-bit Linux

Stephen Willey stephen.willey at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Oct 20 07:17:48 UTC 2004

Kevin Anderson wrote:
> Maximum size of each GFS filesystem for RHEL3 (2.4.x kernel) is 2 TB,
> you can have multiple filesystems of that level.  So, to get access to
> 10TB of data requires a minimum of 5 separate filesystems/storage
> combinations.
>
> The theoretical 2.6 kernel limit is 16TB for 32bit platforms, and
>
>>Exabyte for 64bit platforms.  There has been some talk on irc and the
>
> mailing list about people trying those configurations but I have not
> heard of any results as of yet.

I was trying to create a GFS filesystem greater than 2Tb on 2.6 and
several people on this list kindly provided help to get some legacy code
out of the mkfs.gfs stuff so I could create a filesystem bigger than 2Tb
(8Tb).  That worked but the next problem was that it wouldn't mount for
some reason.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time to get it working and had to move on to
other things.  From what I saw then (about 2 months ago), GFS is
scalable beyond 2Tb but it would probably take a while with the help of
this list to get it working properly.

Stephen