[Linux-cluster] Re: Csnap server cluster membership interface

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Wed Oct 20 19:17:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:17:56PM -0400, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> The next bit of cluster infrastructure glue that we need is the
> interface between csnap server startup and cluster membership.  The
> problem we need to solve is: a new server must be sure that every
> snapshot client (as opposed to origin client) of the former server has
> either reconnected or left the cluster.  This is because snapshot
> clients take read locks on chunks that they read from the origin.  If a
> new server ignores those locks it could allow an origin client to
> overwrite a chunk that a snapshot client is reading.
>
> I was originally thinking about replicating the list of snapshot clients
> across all the agents using a protocol between the server, clients and
> agents, so that a new server always has the current list available.
> But this is stupid, because cman already keeps the list of cluster
> nodes on every node, and there is a csnap agent on every node that
> knows about all the snapshot clients connected to itself.  So a direct
> approach is possible, as follows:

o.k. just to clarify things, because I haven't looked completely through
agent.c and you changes to the csnap server code yet:

On each machine, there is one agent per csnap device. right?

>   - Once an agent succeeds in getting the exclusive on the snapshot
>     store lock, it sends a "new server" message to the csnap agent
>     on every node (alternatively, to every member of the "csnap"
>     service group, see below).

How does the agent know the ip addresses of all client nodes if not through
cman?  Even through cman, is there an easy way to get the ip address from
the cman information? Or were the agents going to use cluster sockets.
Do all the agents wait on a specific port for these external connections? If
there is only one service group for all csnap devices,
but a different csnap agent per client, what happens if a node doesn't use
all the csnap devices? It would seem in this case that according to the service
group, it would need to respond, but there wouldn't be an agent to contact.
correct? To avoid this you might need to have one service group per csnap
device, or one agent that handles all csnap devices on a node.