[Linux-cluster] Unclean shutdown/restart procedure

Fredric Isaman iisaman at citi.umich.edu
Wed Sep 8 21:01:12 UTC 2004

I believe this is a bug, but it may be I misunderstand how to cleanly
bring up/down a whole cluster.

I have a 3-node cluster, using today's CVS.  I can bring it up fine, mount
a gfs filesystem over iscsi on each node, then shut it down fine, using
the procedures from useage.txt.  However, if I then startup again without
rebooting, when I get to clvmd -d , it will increase the active subsystem
count, and fail with:

  Unable to create lockspace for CLVM
  Can't initialise cluster interface

and the kernel log shows:

  dlm: Can't bind to port 21064
  dlm: cannot start lowcomms -98

At this point the node that ran clvmd has an active subsystem count of
one.  Shutting down the cluster (using cman_tool leave force) and
restarting it does not change this. Trying to run clvmd in this state
causes the machine to immediately hang with no messages to the log or
console.

	Fred