[Linux-cluster] Fencing agents

Hernando Garcia travellig at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 14:11:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 11:58 +0000, "Sævaldur Arnar Gunnarsson
[Hugsmiðjan]" wrote:
> What does "automatic" fencing have to offer that the manual fencing
> lacks.
Automatic fencing uses hardware to fence a node and reboot it.
Manual fencing relay on you to manually fence the node whenever you
release there is a problem in the cluster and relays on you to
prowercycle the faulty node manually, no very convenient when you are
sysadmin the cluster remotely.

> If we decide to buy the FC switch right away is it recomended that we
> buy one of the ones that have fencing agent available for the
> Cluster-Suite ?
 If you look at the configuration manual for RHCS, there is a list of
supported fencing agents.
> If can't get our hands on supported FC switchs can we do fencing in
> another manner than throught a FC switch ?

Manual fencing.

Nando