[Linux-cluster] Clustered LDAP, good or bad idea?

Ryan Thomson thomsonr at ucalgary.ca
Sat Aug 6 01:08:25 UTC 2005

Hello list,

I've been thinking about running OpenLDAP on our to-be GFS/RHCS based
storage cluster. I was thinking I could run LDAP as a service with all
of it's data on a shared disk so that if the node with that service goes
down, another node can pickup the service. It would be nice to have
failover support for LDAP without using replication to another OpenLDAP
server.

I've already done tests on a two node cluster and it seems to work fine
but it "seeming" to work fine isn't much confidence, I must admit.

I have the configuration, lock files and database all on shared storage.
I've modified the LDAP init.d script on each node to start/stop LDAP
since the config and lock files aren't in the default spot anymore.

I'm a bit concerned about failures since I can't test that properly in a
two-node cluster.

I suppose what I'm really asking is this: Is running LDAP as a cluster
service a particularly bad idea for any reason?

--
Ryan Thomson
Systems Administrator
Email: thomsonr at ucalgary.ca