[Linux-cluster] GFS + Oracle storage hardware suggestions?

Matt Goebel mgoebel at workforcesoftware.com
Thu Aug 25 04:06:38 UTC 2005

That setup is possible.  It adds extra servers and more things to go wrong
though.  Plus GNBD would likely cause a hit in performance.  Direct
attached storage (SCSI) units have been ruled out as an option since we
use a lot of them now and we've had lot of problems.  Every so often a
unit will just flip out and take all the drives offline.  You bring them
all back online and they go back to working fine.  These are all Dell
powervaults.  Dell support says "oh yeah, that happens sometimes.. one
drive will hicup and cause a cascading failure for the other drives on
that bus..."  We had another non-Dell DAS unit do something similiar.  So
now when we use them it's only in an md raid1 across two hardware raid5
units.  For this we are looking at SANs which hopefully don't have this
problem.