[Linux-cluster] Fencing Module for VMware ESX and GSX

Zach Lowry zach at zachlowry.net
Wed Aug 31 15:30:15 UTC 2005

Hello!

I recently deployed GFS between 2 virtual machines on a VMware ESX
server and had a problem because there was no fencing module that
could handle this architecture. So, using the fence_apc module as a
template, I wrote a compatible module, fence_vmware. Now, since I
didn't want to rewrite GFS and recompile to use this new module, I am
currently using it as a drop-in replacement for the fence_apc module,
and using the APC configuration syntax. However, this code seems to
work just right when a machine misses sync, it will log into the
VMware ESX server and attempt to do a soft reboot of the VM, then a
hard reboot if necessary. I hope to see this incorporated into the
GFS tree, but if not it will be available on my website.

Attached is a copy of the source, also available at http://
www.zachlowry.net/software.php, along with a sample configuration.