[Linux-cluster] two fencing problems

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Wed Dec 7 20:34:22 UTC 2005

Eric Kerin wrote:
> But mainly, check that the names you use in the clusternode name
> attributes are resolvable on both nodes, and they resolve to the same IP
> address on both nodes.

They do resolve, and to the same IP address.  Interestingly, if I stop
fenced on the "good" node and run it manually as 'fenced -D' to monitor
the debugging output, and then run 'fence_node hostname', no activity
shows up - but if I do my simulated failure on the "bad" node (drop the
interface), then it starts spewing debugging output (though the fencing
fails for some other unknown reason ... but killing that and restarting
fenced properly fixes it).

I kind of give up at this point - fencing now works, and I can always
force a node by dropping its interface (or yanking the network cable) -
it's dirty, but it works.

-g

Greg Forte
gforte at udel.edu