[Linux-cluster] any documentaion about manual fence!

Abdullah Jarbou ajarbou at kau.edu.sa
Tue Dec 13 13:47:40 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Although, I have some experience with the old red hat cluster manager on RH
AS2.1, but I am really newbie to RHCS4. Also, I'm too glade to find a lot of
cluster experts in this list.

I have built a simple cluster with 2 nodes by following the "Configuring and
Managing RHCS" article, and have the following situation:

- Both nodes are up on newly configured cluster, services started on
(node1).

- node1 shutdown, node 2 failover the services (apache, mysql).

- boot up node 1 again, (apache return to node1, mysql failed !)

- after that, when restart node1, node1 halted after starting dlm_lock.

- restart node2, node1 display the following:

CMAN: join request from node2 rejected, config version local 11 remote 10.

- after that, node2 start without cluster services.

- the only way  -I guess- to get node1 up now is to stop the cluster
services from the linux rescue shell command.

I'm using  the manual_fence since I don't have any hardware fencing device
yet. Also, I configure all the cluster services (ccsd, cman, rgmanager,
fenced) to be booting on automatically ( chkconfig on).

I know that the fence device is required to run RHCS, but I am trying now to
finish building the cluster using the manual fence.

My questions are:

1-     Is it possible to run the cluster with the manual_fence? Is there any
related documentation or alternative way.

2-     I don't want to waste your time by such questions, but I surprised
that a lot of experts use some shell commands to manage and administer the
cluster while I am not find any documentation about  RHCS U2 except
"Configuring and Managing RHCS" from redhat. So, is there another
documentation or method to learn the RHCS well?

I appreciate any help,

Regards,

Ajarbou

"Disclaimer by McAfee Web Shield e1000 Appliance"

This Outgoing Email has been scanned by King Abdul Aziz University SMTP Gateway Antivirus