[Linux-cluster] Re: Linux-cluster Digest, Vol 20, Issue 14

Alan Wood chekov at ucla.edu
Tue Dec 13 19:16:37 UTC 2005

you can look at my post from Nov 15 of 2004 to see the effects I
experienced running samba on top of GFS.  whether or not the problems stem
purely from locking I don't know (I played extensively with the locking
options in my smb.conf, to no avail), but the crashes [and delays] I saw
when I had multiple users access the same file/share made the system
unusable in production.
whenever I've pushed on this question people seem to fall into one of two
camps:
1.  never tried running samba on top of GFS with high load, but thinks it
should work
2.  acknowledges there might be some underlying problems

if there is a 3rd camp out there of people who are running samba sharing on
top of GFS I'd love to hear about it.  My experience says it'll start up
fine and probably work ok under light load (say, 5 users) or if users only
ever access their own shares.  but as soon as you have multiple users
accessing a common samba share you start experiencing [unacceptable] delays
and if something else is going on (say a webserver serving the same path)
you'll probably get a crash.
-alan