[Linux-cluster] Cluster Suite v3 software watchdog

Celso K. Webber celso at webbertek.com.br
Wed Dec 21 18:25:43 UTC 2005

Hello all,

<disclaimer>
Sorry for resending this, I've got some problems with HTML sending to
the list (thanks to Alasdair G Kergon for pointing this out).
</disclaimer>

I'm having some difficulties with the software watchdog feature when
configuring a Red Hat Cluster Suite v3 with Dell hardware.

Notably I had problems with Dell PowerEdges 2650 and 2850. After setting
up the cluster nodes and selecting the "enable software watchdog" check
box under every member of the "Members" tab, I can run the cluster with
no problems, but the machines reboot from time to time.

I've tried passing the following parameters to the kernel by editing
grub.conf:
nmi_watchdog=1

Does anyone has had this issue before? Or am I missing any step on
configuring the software watchdog feature?

Another question for the Red Hat people on the list: does this "software
watchdog" works ok? I ask because it's enabled by default when you add a
new member to the cluster. The Cluster Suite v3 manual tells nothing
about this resource either.

I could only find some information about soft watchdog in the Cluster
Suite v2.1 manual, but that version seems to be somewhat different from
v3 and v4.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Celso.