[Linux-cluster] Synchronized filesystem

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Dec 29 14:22:47 UTC 2005

Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to use GFS to make a synchronized filesystem between 2
> machines with a "slow" line in between?
> I mean:
> - One machine with storage is in US
> - One machine without storage is in UK
> - There is a 2Mbit line between them.
>
> We would like to have access to the files from both side, reading
> being *fast*. At the moment, we use rsync during the night. This is OK
> but:
>  - Not up-to-date if modifs in US are done during the day
>  - If someone wants to modify, he must edit the files in the *US* not
> in the UK, even if he is in the UK.
>
> The idea would be to have gnbd in the US, GFS accross these 2 machines
> and GFS in the UK making *read* caching and taking care of locking if
> someone in the UK modify files in the US. Is that possible with GFS?

You want to have some sort of document-management system, which in the
most simple form can be CVS (if you can teach your people CVS...).
At least, CVS can do the local caching but no locking of files - that
has to be handled via the "old-fashioned" way.

GFS is the wrong tool for this purpose, no doubt.

cheers,
Rainer