[Linux-cluster] gnbd server as shared storage

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Fri Feb 4 17:53:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 05:10:28PM -0200, Cristiano da Costa wrote:
> Hello list

<snip>

> Then I make tests to simultaneos write data in a gnbd device mapped and I note that the files created by one node only appear to other node when  the device is reimported and remounted.

<snip>

> Partition /dev/gnbd/had11 is ext3 and are mounted in both nodes, but the data write for one node only is acessible to other when the device is reimported and remounted.

If you actually had shared storage, and did this test, the results would be
the same.  ext3 is not a clustered filesystem.  It never expects the data
on disk to change out from under it, so it always trusts its cache.
In order to share storage between multiple machines, you need a clustered
filesystem, like GFS.

-Ben