[Linux-cluster] lock_gulm heartbeat

Michael Conrad Tadpol Tilstra mtilstra at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 16:20:44 UTC 2005

Edward Mann wrote:
> Everyone,
>

> I have a gfs cluster that has been running fine for about 3 months now.
> I am only using 2 machines and the storage is a firewire drive. Over the
> weekend i started to get:
> lock_gulmd_core[1100]: Failed to receive a timely heartbeat reply from
> Master. (t:1108583425506998 mb:1)
>
> and after 2, which is what i allowed for the missed heart beats, the gfs
> slave would die. I moved the missed heartbeat up to 5 and have seen it
> miss as many as 4 in a row. The only thing that has changed on the
> machine is that i add new clients to process files once they are placed
> on the machine. I am using FAM to notify my app that a new file is
> present.
>
> Any ideas on what i should look at? How can i diagnose this problem. The
> communication between the two machines seems fine. I can ping both
> hosts. I am really at a loss at to what to look for.

It sounds like it might be a load problem.  The node is busy doing other
work and it doesn't give enough time to the gulm core process to do
heartbeats.  You should try increacing the heartbeat_rate some.  And
maybe nicing the lock_gulmd processes some.

If you want to try tacking all of the heartbeat messages, set the
'heartbeat' verbosity flag.

--
Michael Conrad Tadpol Tilstra
AH! Get off my leg! You're Not my type!!!!