[Linux-cluster] client doesnt start when lock master is not ready

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Thu Feb 24 16:45:27 UTC 2005

Hi All,

We have a two node system using GFS. One of them is the lock server and other is just client. We restarted our servers recently and brought the lock client before bringing up the lock master. lock_gulmd is set to restart at levels 3, 4 and 5. The lock client system just hungup with the message "Starting lock_gulmd..." in the boot process. It's clear that this situation happened since lock master server wasn't available then. When the lock master server started the lock client system started successfully.

I noticed before client system started even when lock master was not available and the status of the lock_gulmd on client was set to "pending". But now the system doesnt start until the master server is also started. Has this changed recently? It is possible that other administrators in the group may have to restart the system at times. If they start the client before master (or worse they dont start master at all) then the system will not complete its boot process and other services remain unavailable. I like the system to complete its boot process and have the lock_gulmd stay in pending state until master comes back. Is there any trick to achieve this behavior?

Thanks much!
Raj