[Linux-cluster] some questions about setting up GFS

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Tue Jan 11 17:30:26 UTC 2005

It looks like you are not using pool.

You seem to have divided up the storage sanely.  However, rather than
forming a pool logical volume on the partitions you've created and then
putting ccs and gfs on the pool volumes, you have simply put ccs and
gfs directly on the underlying device.  This is not terrible if you can
ensure that your devices will _always_ have the same name, regardless
of the machine you are viewing them from.  (Pool's main function is to
write labels to the underlying devices so that they can be uniquely
identified on every machine in the cluster.)

So, at this point, you can choose to forget about using pool and
proceed as you have started; or you can set up your pools first and put
ccs and gfs on them (this is the method normally used).

If you choose to set up pools, you would do something like:
# create config files for two different pools (one for ccs and one for
gfs)
prompt> cat > cca_pool.cfg
poolname cca
subpools 1
subpool 0 0 1 gfs_data
pooldevice 0 0 /dev/cciss/c0d1p1

prompt> cat > gfs1_pool.cfg
poolname gfs1
subpools 1
subpool 0 0 1 gfs_data
pooldevice 0 0 /dev/cciss/c0d1p2

#Write the labels to disk - remember this only needs to be done once
prompt> pool_tool cca_pool.cfg
prompt> pool_tool gfs1_pool.cfg

#Instantiate the pool logical volumes
prompt> pool_assemble

#Now you have block devices called /dev/pool/cca and /dev/pool/gfs1
# create your CCS archive and gfs file system on these devices
prompt> ccs_tool create /root/cluster /dev/pool/cca
prompt> mkfs.gfs ... /dev/pool/gfs1

  brassow