[Linux-cluster] OOM failures with GFS, NFS and Samba on a cluster with RHEL3-AS

Jonathan Woytek woytek+ at cmu.edu
Mon Jan 24 18:43:29 UTC 2005

/proc/meminfo:
         total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  4189741056 925650944 3264090112        0 18685952 76009472
Swap: 2146787328        0 2146787328
MemTotal:      4091544 kB
MemFree:       3187588 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:         18248 kB
Cached:          74228 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         107232 kB
ActiveAnon:      50084 kB
ActiveCache:     57148 kB
Inact_dirty:      1892 kB
Inact_laundry:   16276 kB
Inact_clean:     16616 kB
Inact_target:    28400 kB
HighTotal:     3276544 kB
HighFree:      3164096 kB
LowTotal:       815000 kB
LowFree:         23492 kB
SwapTotal:     2096472 kB
SwapFree:      2096472 kB
Committed_AS:    72244 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
Hugepagesize:     2048 kB

When a bunch of locks become free, lowmem seems to recover somewhat.
However, shutting down lock_gulmd entirely does NOT return lowmem to
what it probably should be (though I'm not sure if the system is just
keeping all of that memory cached until something else needs it or not).

jonathan

--
Jonathan Woytek                 w: 412-681-3463         woytek+ at cmu.edu
NREC Computing Manager          c: 412-401-1627         KB3HOZ