[Linux-cluster] Fencing Problems

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 13:32:23 UTC 2005

Rich Edelman wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've got a 2 node FC4 system here, connected via a Brocade FC switch to
> FC SAN. I've followed usage.txt to a T, but seem to have some fencing
> problems.
>
> What happens is if one of the 2 nodes loses network connectivity, that
> node immediately gets fenced by the remaining node, which is all fine
> and good. The problem here is the fenced node (the one without network
> connectivity) starts trying to fence the remaining node, and when
> network connectivity is restored, succeeds in fencing the other node.
> Now both my nodes are fenced. And not only that, but I have the 'split
> brain' scenario, where each node thinks it is the only member of a
> similarly named cluster.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

For a start you need to set the 2-node option to cman in the
/etc/cluster/cluster.conf file.

I think that 2-node option only works with power-switch fencing. It relies on
the fact that the two nodes will race to fence each other and only the first one
suceeds because the second is then dead.
--

patrick