[Linux-cluster] GFS installation

Yazan Al-Sheyyab yazan at ccs.com.jo
Wed Jul 6 06:37:57 UTC 2005

hi haydar,

  my friend i was having the same case : which is a two ml 370 hp proliant
nodes and a shared storage msa500 and the two nodes connected to the shared
by SCSI cable , the problem was with the lock server when implementing the
GFS.

im using RHEL_ES_V3_U4 and a GFS for V3 U4 also,  but here in this GFS
release you have to have an odd number of lock server , i mean that when you
have two server so you have to have a three lock server , but in my case i
have used only the first node as lock server and then i reached a poor
redunduncy in the cluster cause i still studying the purchase of a third
server., i heared that there is a release of GFS which is GFS 6.1 working
with RHEL_V4 which will work without the need of the locking service  .....
some body correct me if that is not right.

but some body told me that i can use the third lock server as logical not
physical server  , he meant that i dont need another HardWare like a server

but my question now is there any body on our list can explain me the use of
the third server as logical way , is it as unix and hp-ux  as an area of the
disk used for locking or what?

 can we manage one of the two cpu on the server as virtual to get a solution
without another server.

Sorry for the long Email , but we have this last problem.

Regards

Yazan