[Linux-cluster] NFS configuration question

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 16:01:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 12:16 +0200, Birger Wathne wrote:
> When setting up a configuration for NFS server failover, can I ensure the IP
> address comes up after exports are ready, and more importantly that the IP
> address goes down before unexporting by placeing the <ip ...> entry at the
> end of the service declaration?

The IP is stopped before disk devices are stopped.

See the "child types" in service.sh.  IPs are started next-to-last
(scripts are started last).

If you do a typical configuration where the NFS exports are children of
file systems, and clients are children of exports, your IP will start
after NFS exports are complete and the IP will be taken off before the
NFS exports are unexported.

> When taking down the nfs service I want the server to 'disappear' before it
> starts unexporting, as i want clients to hang waiting for the service to
> come back up instead of getting io errors.

That's how NFS failover needs to be done, actually.

-- Lon