[Linux-cluster] NFS configuration question

Birger Wathne birger at uib.no
Fri Jul 8 07:57:12 UTC 2005

Eric Kerin wrote:

>Just because I'm curious, why do you restart lockd?  Are you restarting
>any other nfs related services from rgmanager?

I think I found the bug. A line had sneaked (snuck?) back into
cluster.conf from an early experiment. I have just been blind to this
line in the config file. I once had it set up so that the service
started NFS. Later I  changed it so NFS gets started at boot with just a
dummy export in my exports file.

Now, the line starting NFS was back in my config file. Must have been a
copy/paste error at some time.

The lockd/statd that start at boot shouldn't really have anything to do,
so when the service starts I simply run a modified version of
/etc/init.d/nfslock that kills the existing daemons and start them again
with some parameters set... I set the hostname to the one that follows
the nfs service, and redirect the state dir to a gfs disk. When the
service stops, these daemons get stopped, and the default ones started
again. This way I hope to get the HA service to also take over locks.

Here is a snippet of my config file showing the resources and the nfs
service. Of the listed exports, the first one for users01 and all 3 for
iftscratch don't seem to get status checks, and thus never came up again.

<resources>
    <clusterfs fstype="gfs" name="cluadmfs" mountpoint="/cluadm"
device="/dev/mapper/raid5-cluadm" options="acl"/>
    <clusterfs fstype="gfs" name="pakkefs" mountpoint="/service/pakke"
device="/dev/mapper/raid5-pakke" options="acl"/>
    <clusterfs fstype="gfs" name="users01fs"
mountpoint="/service/users01" device="/dev/mapper/raid5-users01"
options="acl"/>
    <clusterfs fstype="gfs" name="iftscratchfs"
mountpoint="/service/iftscratch" device="/dev/mapper/raid5-iftscratch"
options="acl"/>
    <nfsclient name="nis-hosts" target="@nis-hosts" options="rw,sync"/>
    <nfsclient name="nis-hosts-ro" target="@nis-hosts"
options="ro,sync,no_root_squash"/>
    <nfsclient name="h-nfs-root" target="@h-nfs-root"
options="rw,sync,no_root_squash"/>
    <nfsclient name="h-nfs-insecure" target="@h-nfs-insecure"
options="rw,sync,insecure"/>
    <nfsclient name="h-nfs-insecure-ro" target="@h-nfs-insecure"
options="ro,sync,no_root_squash,insecure"/>
    <nfsclient name="dhcp-ro" target="@dhcp-hosts"
options="ro,sync,no_root_squash"/>
  </resources>

  <service name="nfssvc" domain="nfsdomain">
    <ip address="129.177.40.30" monitor_link="yes"/>
    <script name="NFS lockd script" file="/etc/init.d/nfslock-svc"/>
    <clusterfs ref="cluadmfs"/>
    <clusterfs ref="pakkefs">
      <nfsexport name="pakkefs">
        <nfsclient ref="h-nfs-root"/>