[Linux-cluster] kernel: CMANsendmsg failed: -101

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 20:22:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 14:26 -0400, Eric Kerin wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 14:06 -0400, Jeff Harr wrote:
> > Thanks for the help, Eric.  Its interesting that you mentioned taking
> > down cman BEFORE taking the interfaces down, because when I was testing
> > my failover I did: ifdown bond0.  My thinking was that the heartbeat
> > would die and everything would work.  It didn't occur to me that it
> > would mess up cman - do you think that's what's doing it?  Should I
> > instead just pull the cables? (I'm asking because it's a long drive to
> > the site just for the test, but will if you think that's the problem).
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Jeff
> >

> Well normally when a machine is fenced, it is not shut down, just
> powered off.  So that would definatly be the problem if the network
> interface is still down when you are shutting down the system.  How are
> you issuing commands to the servers after taking down the network
> interface if you're not on site?
>
> I take it you aren't using power controllers to fence the machines, just
> using fence_manual, or an I/O fencing mechanism?

Jeff -

Here's one way to avoid the problem.  Try this next time:

    reboot -fn

I wouldn't expect much of anything to work after the the network and SAN
paths just got turned off, so I'm not surprised it hangs during
shutdown.

(That said, CMAN probably shouldn't spin forever trying to call
sendmsg.)

-- Lon